Bill Durst Band
Calgary International Blues Festival (2014)
Bill Durst is a Canadian Blues-Rock-Roots guitarist, singer, songwriter, entertainer who has written and recorded over 115 songs on 11 albums with 7 national radio chart hits. Bill has opened for, or shared the stage, with Rush, Aerosmith, BTO, Yardbirds, John Mayall, Savoy Brown, Bobby Rush, Little Feat, George Thorogood, Bad Company, Edgar Winter Group, Jeff Healey, Steve Strongman, Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer, Jack de Keyser, Ted Nugent, Monkey Junk, L.A. Guns, David Wilcox, Bob Seger, Slade, Downchild, David Clayton Thomas, Sly And The Family Stone and more. Mr. Durst has toured across North America and in Europe and tours extensively in Canada.
As a kid growing up in Wingham and then London, Ontario (which is halfway between Toronto and Detroit), Bill was heavily influenced by Motown R&B and Toronto Psychedelic Soul music as well as the British Blues Invasion and Jimi Hendrix. Bill's entrance on the national/international stage was with his classic rock band Thundermug, formed from London R&B groups in 1969. By the summer of 1972 the band had a number one hit and a fan following in Eastern Canada. The band went on to record a total of 5 albums, (3 albums in the early/mid 1970s and two CDs in the mid 1990s), releasing records in the US and Europe. Bill put out his first two solo releases in the mid eighties but it wasn't until the early 2000s that Durst got some real career momentum.
In 2004 he proclaimed his intention to start up a "little, fuzzy, psychedelic blues band" and since then Bill and his co-writer Joe DeAngelis have produced 4 full length CDs, The Wharncliffe Sessions ('05), The Great Willy Mammoth ('09), Live ('12) and Hard And Heavy ('13).
Here are some more highlights:
* Member Jack Richardson Hall Of Fame 2006
* Top 20 Canadian Blues Albums of 2011 goes to The Great Willy Mammoth CD - Blind Lemon Blues (fan-voted)
* Blues/R&B Artist Of The Year 2012 London Music Awards (fan-voted)
* Best Canadian Live Blues Album 2013 goes to the Bill Durst "Live" CD - Blues Underground Network
* Top 20 Canadian Blues Albums 2013 - Bill Durst "Live" CD hits #5 - Blind Lemon Blues (fan-voted)
* Blues/R&B Artist Of The Year 2013 London Music Awards (fan-voted)
* Nominee Maple Blues Awards for Electric Act Of The Year 2014.
"Bill Durst is ...a consummate blues rocker, with killer guitar chops, a distinctive voice and the heart of a showman...a master songwriter ...Bill's style of Southern/Texas blues rock lends itself well to Durst's guitar skills, which are prodigious."
- Rex Bartholomew, Los Angeles for Blues Blast Magazine, November 2013
"a fantastic guitarist, Durst is also a gifted entertainer ...he was singing in the soul of the songs ...growling, almost crying, screaming, or subdued, the man can do it all."
- Luc Meert, Belgium for rootstime.be, December 2013.